The rise of milk: the 10 questions/answers to know everything!
The increase of milk: this natural phenomenon arouses the curiosity and anxiety of the future mothers. However, to live the rise of milk peacefully, the secret is to be well informed! Here are the ten answers to your doubts and ideas.
1) At birth, the rise of milk arrives immediately.
The birth of your child triggers the process of breastfeeding. The manufacture of milk at the level of the alveoli is initiated. However, milk does not arrive immediately after childbirth, and the rise in milk will only occur between the second and fourth day after your delivery.
2) Breastfeeding immediately after birth allows a faster rise in milk and accelerates the onset of lactation.
Yes, it is necessary to propose the breast to the baby as soon as possible and for this take advantage of the two hours of rest forced in the room of birth to give breast to the newborn. You will be surprised to see how quickly he adapts and understands very quickly what is expected of him! Baby develops its sucking reflex and allows the lactation to settle quickly and in good conditions.
3) Before the real rise of milk, the baby has nothing to feed.
This is obviously wrong!
The liquid produced by the breasts at the end of the end of pregnancy and before the arrival of the rise of milk is colostrum. This yellow and thick liquid is incredibly rich in nutrients, proteins, lipids, vitamins and antibodies that will help baby fight infections. Colostrum also contains Lactobacillus Bifidus, which helps develop the intestinal flora and expel the baby’s first stool (meconium). It will be present until the rise of milk.
4) It is hard to find advice to help me in the establishment of my breastfeeding and to inform me about the increase of milk.
If you are having difficulty setting up your breastfeeding, or you have concerns about increasing milk, take advantage of your maternity stay to ask for advice from the midwives who will guide you and reassure you. In the case of extensive questioning, you can contact your local Leche League who will answer all your questions concerning your breastfeeding in the course or come.
5) I will not necessarily feel my rise in milk.
The increase of milk is painful. So there’s a good chance you will be aware of the changes that are taking place.
Symptoms of rising milk: your breasts swell and become wet, hot, tense, hard and very sensitive. This sensation is usually quite unpleasant. The swelling sometimes extends into the armpit.
During the rise of milk, you may also have a flare of fever … however, do not fear, all these inconveniences are temporary, and soon it will no longer appear. When you feel that the rise in milk is on, put the baby to the breast as soon as you feel these phenomena and as often as possible. The more he sucks, the better the beginning of breastfeeding.
6) There is no way to relieve yourself during the rise of milk.
Fortunately, there are ways to relieve the pain and discomfort of rising milk.
Once baby has drunk all his drunk:
- Take a warm shower by gently massaging your breasts: the extra milk will come out, and it will relieve you.
- Give breast as often as possible to avoid waterlogging.
- Do not give a bottle of water or supplement, quietly put up breastfeeding without disturbing your baby with the introduction of the bottle.
7) There is material that will be useful to me during the rise of milk
Indeed, there are breastfeeding equipment that can allow you to relieve the pain due to the increase of milk.
It is mainly the breast pump that will be your ally because it will allow you to “empty” your breasts of excess milk. If the baby has fallen asleep on the first breast and the second makes you suffer, do not hesitate to play the breast pump to avoid engorgement. Be careful, however, since soliciting your breasts causes the production of milk, do not enter into a gear difficult to manage. The milk drawer will allow you, initially to regulate your rise of milk according to the baby’s suits.
8) After caesarean section, no surge of milk
False, after a caesarean not to worry to have, the rise of milk is done exactly as during a natural childbirth, and the establishment of breastfeeding is in no way delayed. Also, you may be less tired than a woman who has not undergone a caesarean section, and the first few days of breastfeeding may be easier.
9) My ascent of milk ended in congestion, there is nothing to do.
If you suffer from congestion, it means that you produce milk in very (too much) quantity … and keep in mind that this is an excellent thing and that some women who do not produce enough milk would like to be In your place … This being so, engorgement is painful and unpleasant, and there are solutions to improve your situation.
- Wear a well-fitted breast-feeding bra. Day and night, yes!
- Feed baby according to his request. Frequent feeds limit the risk of engorgement and allow a harmonious establishment of lactation.
- If your baby has trouble catching the areola because your breast is too hard and swollen, pull some milk by hand or with a milk pull until your breast becomes more supple and easier to catch for baby.
- Massage your breast during feeding; this will promote the flow of milk and will relieve you.
Some women recommend placing crushed ice or chilled blocks on the breasts after the summer to soothe the discomfort.
- Avoid using the ends of silicone breasts (nipples) that complicate the baby’s spot in the nipple’s mouth.
- Learn how to position your baby for breastfeeding. Ask the midwives for advice.
Once the engorgement past, your breasts will be softer, while remaining full of milk.
10) I do not want to breastfeed; there is a way to stop the rise of milk.
Tell the midwives that you do not want to breastfeed; they will immediately give you a medicine that blocks the milk production. You will avoid the rise of milk and its discomfort.
As far as possible it is good to give breast at least during the first days so that your baby can benefit from the advantages of colostrum …
If you can not or do not want it, no need to feel guilty, your child will find in the Industrial milk products essential for its growth and good health!